Sunday, March 04, 2007

southwestern chowder

I had about an hour to come up with a soup for a meeting at church tonight, so I tried to come up with something that mostly involved opening cans. It turned out great. Go figure.

4 10 oz. cans of Ro-tel Chunky Tomatoes and Green Chilies
3 15 oz. cans black beans (I used Kuner's Southwestern Beans with Cumin and Chili Spices)
2 1 lb. packages of frozen corn kernels
1 quart chicken broth
1 quart light cream

6 tablepoons (1/2 stick) butter
6 tablespoons flour
Open the first five items and put them in a stockpot. Turn on the heat and bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer.

Melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the flour to make a roux. When the flour is absorbed, the mixture should be fairly stiff. Add to the soup and stir well until it's dissolved. Continue to simmer for about ten minutes, until the soup thickens.

Serves 12.

Peace,
Milton

5 Comments:

sozzled said...

It sounds great, I think I will be using this recipe for our church soup supper tomorrow evening (x 5) Thank you!

sozzled said...

This was a huge hit! We served a chicken sweet potato chili and cornbread and had this as our vegetarian option and people loved it! and it was sooooo easy! I will be making this again! (You can tell I loved it since this is a 4 exclamation point comment :-)

don't eat alone said...

Hooray!

I'm glad it turned out well. I'm making it again soon myself.

Peace,
Milton

Unknown said...

Found you thru Naked Pastor, been reading your poetry and recipies.Inspired! After reading this soup recipe, which looks delishious, thought I would pass to you a little trick I learned from my Iranian mother-in-law.It saves on calories but you dont sacrifice taste. When your soup is hot and you want to thicken it, instead of four and butter, use quick oats. For a large pot I usually throw in 2 or 3 handfuls, but you can adjust as you go along. Really enjoy your blog. Would love to hear if this works for you.

don't eat alone said...

Jill

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try.

Peace,
Milton