Thursday, April 19, 2007

chicken and prosciutto rolls

These take a little work, but not an inordinate amount of time for what you get when they're done.

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4-8 slices Swiss cheese (or 6 oz. goat cheese -- your pick)
2 cups sauteed spinach (can use frozen, too)
8 slices prosciutto
Put the chicken breast on the cutting board, cover it with a piece of plastic wrap or waxed paper and pound it out into an even thickness of about a quarter of an inch. Place a slice of Swiss cheese (two, if they're square) in the middle of the chicken and then put a layer of spinach. If you're using goat cheese, mix the cheese and spinach together and then spread the mixture on top of the chicken. Roll the chicken breast up like a jelly roll, tucking in the sides to seal it. Wrap one slice of prosciutto long ways around the chicken and the other sideways so the roll is enclosed. Repeat for all four breasts.

Heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet and cook the chicken rolls over medium heat, turning about every three minutes until prosciutto is crispy and chicken is done.

Serves 4. (I think it would go really well with the brussels and berries.

Peace,
Milton

6 Comments:

Lori said...

Milton,
Substitute question: I'm allergic to spinach. What could I use instead? Maybe bok choy?

Thanks

don't eat alone said...

I would say use whatever greens you love. Swiss chard would also be a good substitute.

Peace
Milton

Anonymous said...

Hi Milton
This recipe sounds great! Sounds fun for a simple dinner party. However as I'm English I have no idea what a jelly roll is. Please could you explain.
Thanks

Anonymous said...

My comment came up as anonymous for some reason even though I typed myself in - hopeeternal.wordpress.com

don't eat alone said...

OK -- let me see . . .

Basically what I mean is roll it up into a coil. (I'm trying to think of an English equivalent.)

Peace,
Milton

Anonymous said...

Thanks Milton. Thought that might be what you meant. Something like a Swiss Roll (do you have those) - a long thin sponge cake rolled round jam or another filling.
Will give it a go!
Blessings
hopeeternal