Saturday, June 23, 2007

clapshot

(That's carrots, potatoes, and rutabaga to you and me.)

This recipe is not mine. I was given some fresh rutabaga this week and went searching for something interesting to do with it other than bake it into a pie. You can find the original here. The only thing I did differently was not to add an egg before I put it in the oven. We ate it tonight as the side with a roasted pork loin and it was awesome.

1 lb baby Yukon Gold potatoes (or big ones cut into chunks)
1 lb carrots
1 lb rutabagas
3 tablespoons butter, melted
salt & pepper
bread crumbs
Peel the rutabaga, cut it in thin slices, and put it in a large pot with plenty of water; bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Peel the carrots and cut them in thick slices. When the rutabaga reaches the 10 minute mark, add the carrots and let the two cook together for 10 more minutes. Add the potatoes and cook the whole mixture for another 20 minutes. Drain them and mash them with the butter, salt and pepper until almost pureed. Turn them into a buttered casserole dish, top with bread crumbs, and bake at 375 for about ten minutes until crumbs are lightly toasted on top.

Serves 6. 3 points a serving.

Peace,
Milton

3 Comments:

Cynthia said...

I've never tried rutabagas before, but I've always been curious. Since the daughter's going back to being a vegetarian after a short fried chicken break, I'm back on the lookout for more veggie recipes.

Unilove said...

Would be great to see a pic of the finished recipe... :)

don't eat alone said...

My digital camera is not working, but I've added the picture from the original recipe, which is without the bread crumbs.

Peace,
Milton