Thursday, June 28, 2007

mashed mistake

Yes, I know this recipe is extremely similar to the one below. I'm posting it again because I made a mistake -- better yet, I've had a learning experience, and a humbling one at that. I may get my chef credentials pulled for admitting this, but I was given some rhubarb and looked up recipes for rutabaga. I made this dish with the wrong ingredient last week.

This is rhubarb.

This is a rutabaga.

I know. I'm freakin' brilliant.

Hey, but here's the fun part: it worked. The potato, carrot, and rhubarb mixture had a sweet and tart taste that was really good -- particularly if you use the naturally sweet Yukon Gold potatoes.

So, here's my recipe, born of embarrassment, mistakes, and a little luck.

1 lb baby Yukon Gold potatoes (or big ones cut into chunks)
1 lb carrots
1 lb rhubarb
3 tablespoons butter, melted
salt & pepper
bread crumbs
Cut the rhubarb crosswise into thin slices, and put it in a large pot with plenty of water; bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Peel the carrots and cut them in thick slices. When the rhubarb reaches the 10 minute mark, add the carrots and let the two cook together for 10 more minutes. Add the potatoes and cook the whole mixture for another 20 minutes. Drain them and mash them with the butter, salt and pepper until almost pureed. Turn them into a buttered casserole dish, top with bread crumbs, and bake at 375 for about ten minutes until crumbs are lightly toasted on top.

Serves 6. 3 points a serving.

Peace,
Milton

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

That's great- don't you love it when mistakes work out?

Rhubarb is my favourite summer thing, mainly because it will grow anywhere, and it tends to take on the flavour of any fruit it's with, so it's great for stretching that precious pint of fresh berries.