Saturday, August 30, 2008

spicy shrimp and peanut butter pizza

One of the things I was asked to do on the retreat at Laity Lodge (read Gordon's post about it -- photo courtesy of RLP) was a cooking demonstration. As Ginger I talked about it, I decided I wanted to do something that had some metaphorical nutrition to it as well as something that tasted good. Since our retreat theme had to do with finding our vocation, which translates to me as figuring out what to make of the ingredients of our lives, I gave five people the chance to go into the pantry and refrigerator at the lodge and pick an ingredient. I promised I would use those things (along with a few additions of my own) to make our evening snack.

They chose

scallions
shrimp
jalapenos (we were in Texas)
phyllo dough

and peanut butter.
I spent the afternoon thinking and preparing and then we gathered after our evening session so they could see me assemble the dish and we could eat our Spicy Shrimp and Peanut Butter Pizzas together.

You, too, can make them at home.
½ cup melted butter
8 sheets phyllo dough
Take each sheet of phyllo, one at a time, paint with butter and stack them one on top of the other. Fold in the sides to make about a ½ inch border, or crust, and then put it in a 350 oven for about eight minutes, until it is lightly browned.
½ cup peanut butter
½ cup crushed pineapple
½ cup jalapenos, chopped
½ sweet chili sauce
¼ cup honey
Blend the mixture in a food processor and then heat in a sauté pan until it thickens a bit. Set aside.
10 medium sized shrimp
Boil, grill, or sauté the shrimp (your pick) and let them cool.
½ cup corn kernels
½ roasted red peppers, chopped
½ cup jalapenos, chopped
½ cup scallions chopped
½ cup cooked bacon, chopped
lime juice
salt and pepper
Mix the ingredients together to make a salsa of sorts.

Place the pizza crust on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spoon the peanut sauce in the middle of the crust, leaving the turned in edges dry. Chop the shrimp and spread over the peanut sauce, then spread the salsa on top (you may not use all of it). The final touch is a layer of crumbled
queso fresco
and then the pizza goes in a 350 oven for five to seven minutes, until everything is warmed through. Sprinkle some more chopped scallions on top to serve.

A couple of notes: you could use a regular pizza crust if you don’t want to fool with the phyllo. You can use another kind of cheese; I used what was available. This isn’t a fast recipe, but it seemed worth it as I watched every last piece of pizza disappear.

Peace,
Milton

0 Comments: