Saturday, January 31, 2009

mushroom and black bean soup

Start with a basic mirepoix:

1 cup onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
olive oil
Saute the vegetables in the soup pot until they are tender. I like to cover the pot to keep all the juices inside. Add
1 lb. sliced mushrooms (I like Baby Bellas)
2 dried ancho chiles
Stir well, cover, and let cook until mushrooms are soft. Add
4 cups vegetable stock
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
salt and pepper
Bring everything to a boil and then lower the heat to simmer. I puree the soup using my wand mixer; if you don't have one, do it in batches in your food processor. Once the soup is pureed, adjust the seasonings and serve.

Peace,
Milton

3 Comments:

KJ said...

Hi, Milton! Thanks for the new recipe! What happens with the chilis? Do you pull them out once the soup is ready, or chop them...? Thanks!

don't eat alone said...

By the time everything has simmered, the peppers have been rehydrated; I just puree them in with everything else.

Peace,
Milton

Blythe said...

Hi Milton. I enjoy reading your blog! Thought I'd let you know I've started to use dry beans exclusively in recipes. Black beans especially have an amazingly aromatic and meaty smell while cooking. They are lower in sodium than canned, and much cheaper. Takes longer, but so do most things worth waiting for. Cheers! Blythe