Sunday, November 14, 2010

pimento cheese stuffed pork chops

Yes, you read it correctly.

And yes, it is a bit strange that I've gone months without posting any recipes and now you get two in one day. I am ready to bring this blog back to life and I'm heading into my favorite cooking season of the year, so why not?


This recipe grew out of trying to figure out a way to make dinner out of what I had on hand. Why I didn't think of it sooner, I don't know.

3/4-inch thick boneless pork chops
pimento cheese
flout
egg wash
plain bread crumbs
oil for cooking
Cut a small hole (not more than an inch) in the side of the pork chop. Then carefully move the knife around inside the chop to make a good sized pocket without cutting through the sides. Take your time. You can do it in stages, stopping to put your finger inside the chop to gauge how big the pocket is.

Put the pork chop on a cutting board between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound it gently with the side of a mallet to flatten it to about a half and  inch, again being careful not to puncture the chop.

Then take a small spoon (or you can use a pastry bag if you have one) and push the pimento cheese inside the cavity. You want to get a good bit in there, obviously, but you also don't want to overstuff it. We're talking 3 or 4 tablespoons, probably.

Roll the pork chop in the flout to dust it, then in the egg, and then in the bread crumbs.

Heat the saute pan and add enough oil to cover the bottom. When the oil is hot, place the chops and cook about three minutes a side, until they are nice and brown. Then set them in a 350 degree oven for five or six minutes to let them finish cooking. That part depends on how you like your chop.

I served it with a sweet potato and plantain risotto (recipe forthcoming).

Peace,
Milton

1 Comment:

T. Craig Carlton said...

I’ve seen this done down south somewhere before. Georgia, I think. Yummy. Check out my comment on your pimento cheese recipe. Thanks for sharing.