Monday, May 23, 2011

vegetarian frittata

I made this dish for a wedding reception this weekend that required it to be dairy-free, gluten-free, and soy-free. It rocked.

I started with veggies I had on hand:

1 bunch fresh asparagus
4 or 5 fingerling potatoes
4 parsnips
2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
I sliced the parsnips into thin rounds, tossed them with olive oil and salt and pepper, put them on a baking sheet, and put them in a 400 degree oven for about ten minutes. While they were cooking, I grilled the asparagus on my stove top, tossing it with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. When they cooled a bit, I cut them into one-inch segments and layered them in the bottom of the dish. I then thinly sliced the potatoes and sautéed them in a bit of olive oil for about five or six minutes; I removed them from the pan and layered them on top of the asparagus. The parsnips were ready, so I took them out of the oven, lowered the temperature to 350, and layered them on top of the potatoes. I diced the tomatoes and put them into the same pan I used for the potatoes, adding a bit of oil, and let them cook till most of the liquid was gone and then layered them on top of the other vegetables.

(Again, I used the vegetables that looked best to me at the market. Use whatever you wish. I think it made a difference to roast or cook them before they went into the frittata.)

I made a big recipe (for 60), but for a 9x9 pan I would use
6 eggs
2 T almond milk
Whisk the eggs and almond milk together and then pour over the top of the vegetables. Move the veggies around to make sure the egg gets all the way to the bottom. Put in the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes, or until it’s set.

NOTE: After I saw this recipe, I realized this would also work great in muffin tins for individual servings.

Peace,
Milton

0 Comments: