Tuesday, May 29, 2012

ginger molasses cookies

Here's how the story goes: in Asian cooking, ginger and chilis go together, so I decided to add some

cayenne pepper instead. Then I thought about the chili and chocolate combination in Mexican cooking and added a little cocoa powder. The result is one seriously good cookie.

In an electric mixer, beat together
2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups butter (at room temperature)
1/2 cup molasses
I let the mixer run a good five to seven minutes. Add
2 eggs
Mix eggs are combined. In a separate bowl mix
4 cups flour
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Add the dry mixture gradually to the butter-sugar mixture. Form 1 ounce sized balls and roll them in sugar before putting them on the baking sheet. Cook at 375 for eleven to thirteen minutes. I cook my one ounce cookies for eleven, the two ounce cookies for thirteen.

Peace,
Milton

1 Comment:

Unknown said...

These sound great, Milton! I'll add them to my to-bake queue!

Brig